Every time you go and buy a box of tampons, you would see there are warning on the box about the Toxic Shock Syndrome or TSS. This bacterial infection can be caused by tampon use if the Staphylococcus or Streptococcus bacteria gets deep into bodily tissue and begins attacking internal organs.
Each year, many women die from this disease and Phoebe Bamburry could have been one of them. Bamburry was at her university library when she started feeling sick but chalked it up to having a stress headache.
Hours later, her situation worsened as her body shook uncontrollably and head muscles ached. She had lost many people to TSS in her life, and her symptoms matched the disease. Her suspicions were confirmed when she read the backside of a tampon box and was rushed to the hospital.
Typically, the symptoms of TSS are so similar to menstrual cramps or the occasional flu women often take the situation lightly. Bambury was hospitalized for two weeks before she was discharged and her near-death experience gives her the drive to educate people about TSS.
TSS is a life-threatening with symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, skin rashes, organ dysfunction, fast breathing, headache, insufficient urine production, mental confusion, and sore throat.
The TSS toxin can enter bodies in multitudes of ways and the masses, especially women must know about its symptoms. People can lose limbs and lives if not diagnosed and treated on time and to that effect Bambury has dedicated her life to spreading awareness about her ordeal and to help save lives.